Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH (GWDG)
The GWDG is a joint facility of Göttingen University and the Max Planck Society. It functions as the data and IT competence center for the Max Planck Society, and as the data center for the university. Its scientific research tasks lie in the field of applied computer science. Additionally, it promotes the training of professionals in information technology.
According to its memorandum of association, the GWDG promotes science and research by
- supplying a data processing system for research institutes and universities,
- being involved in the scientific design of IT/telecommunications technology for research projects and university teaching,
- providing services for research institutes and universities as a research funding facility,
- advising scientific users on solving problems in the field of information and communications technology, and participating in - the implementation of solutions,
- training and professional development of scientific users of information and communications technology,
- research in the field of practical and applied computer science, in particular on the methodology of computer usage, in order to solve scientific questions. All of the supervised data processing system is the object of study.
Particularly, tasks include the operation of high-performance computers, the provision of specialized systems and support of the transmission network GÖNET, which connects institutes in Göttingen. Through the GWDG, GÖNET is connected to the national research and education network X-WiN and the internet.
As an IT competence center, the GWDG advises and supports all associated institutes concerning all questions on scientific data processing.
Am Faßberg 11
|Primary educational sector|