The OERu makes higher education accessible to everyone. Coordinated by the OER Foundation, an independent, not-for-profit organisation, the OERu network of institutions offers free online courses for students worldwide. The OERu partners also provide affordable ways for learners to gain academic credit towards qualifications from recognised institutions.
Through the OER Foundation, the OERu network continually works towards:
- widening access and reducing the cost of tertiary study for learners everywhere, and especially for those who are excluded from the formal education sector
- covering the operational cost of institution-based OERu services on a cost-recovery basis (or alternative revenue sources)
- providing pathways for students to achieve credible credentials for approved courses based solely on open education resources (OER). OER means learning materials that have been released under an intellectual property license, permitting their free use or re-purposing by others
- optimising the visibility and impact of the community service mission required of tertiary education institutions.
OERu has the following core values:
- Free learning opportunities for all students worldwide
- Affordable assessment services towards credible credentials
- Open source (planning, processes, technology and learning materials)
- Strategic philanthropy
- Sustainable education futures.